Concrete Finisher - Foreman
Date published: 21-Mar-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Corporate Const/Procurement
Business Plan: CEM
Overland Contracting Inc. (OCI), a Black & Veatch company, provides construction services in the open/merit shop arena. Since 1996, OCI has been an industry leader in building vital infrastructure and provides a comprehensive range of construction servic
Direct and supervise the planning, lay‐out, material storage, maintenance, and inspections of concrete finishing of concrete structures in accordance with all applicable plans, specifications, codes and industry standards. Plan and coordinate the efforts of the lead men and craft workers under his/her supervision and motivate them to accomplish the work safely, correctly and efficiently.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be able to perform all of the principal duties and accountabilities of craft workers under his/her supervision. • Lead and support all safety related processes and programs as requested. Engage with your work team to ensure we achieve zero injuries. No job is so important that your safety and that of your crew will be compromised. • Have an understanding of the scheduling, material control and unit man-hour performance reporting. Become familiar with the Field Progress Management System (FPMS). • Be able to create and execute a one week schedule. Be able to set and execute crew goals based on the project unit rates. • Review crew's timecards for correct hours and phase coding. • Report all accidents and near misses to supervisor. Participate in investigation process as needed. Review accidents and the causes with employees. • Lead, complete, and sign off on daily pre-job safety planning in the appropriate format. Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate or mitigate hazards. Assure all crew members understand, participate, and sign all pre-job safety planning tools at start and end of shift. • Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens). • Understand, support, implement, and follow lockout/tag out procedures. Attend site specific training and assure you follow all procedures as out lined in training. • Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately. • Listen to other employees and supervisor's suggestions, complaints, problems, safety concerns and recommendations, evaluate each and then devise and implement a plan of action based on that evaluation. Consult with supervisor and if needed HR on any issues. • Coordinate and communicate work with other crafts and co-workers on the job. As requested by project supervision manage other crafts when needed. • Provide on-the-job training to those individuals under his/her supervision. • Train/teach safety practices, policies and procedures related to an employee's assigned tasks. • Perform task planning to safely and efficiently carry out all aspects of that work assigned. • Plan and communicate with supervisor to assure that an adequate supply of tools, materials and equipment are available. • Gain a complete understanding of the scope of work and the related parts of the project. Develop a thorough understanding of the project plans, specifications and schedule as they relate to that portion of the work assigned. • Conduct tool box meetings and communicate safety concerns, work scope, plans and schedules to the crews. • Participate in quantity report collection as needed on a daily/weekly basis. • Assure employees produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards. • Inspect subordinate's work for compliance with the, contract plans, specifications, and industry standards. Ensure that correct construction procedures are followed during installation. Point out deficiencies, explain them, and take corrective action needed. • Observe functioning of installed equipment or systems to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement. • Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost saving measures that arise or that may be encountered. Take corrective actions as needed. • Ensure that construction equipment is correctly operated, maintained, in good working order, and Daily Equipment Inspections are completed for equipment being used. • Complete performance reviews of craft workers according to Craft Performance Assessment (CPA) Guidelines. Ensure that subordinates are qualified to perform their work as it relates to their level.
Previous experience as a Journeyman, Experience working as a Carpenter, Concrete Finisher, Rod buster or similar craft, and a strong working knowledge of the civil / concrete crafts. Experience in erection of all types of concrete structures. Must have working knowledge of auto‐level and transit for accurate lay‐out and verification of finished grades; fabrication and erection of forms with thorough knowledge of steel framed forms (i.e. Symons); fabrication and placement of rebar including proper tying techniques; and placing, finishing and sealing concrete. Must set standards of excellence in leadership, safety, quality and productivity for the members of his/her crew. In addition, must have all necessary tools (see Industrial Carpenter tool list). Must be at least 18 years of age. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Previous experience as a supervisor. One or more of the following certifications: NCCER Concrete Finishing NCCER Carpenter NCCER Reinforcing Ironwork NCCER Rigger NCCER Scaffolding NCCER Fundamentals of Crew Leadership NCCER Project Supervision NCCER Proj
Facts and Figures
- OCI is moving our Headquarters to the Raleigh, NC Area in the summer of 2015 to allow better alignment with our parent company, Black & Veatch, and one of their engineering execution offices, also located in the Raleigh, NC Area.
- OCI has a presence in several key markets across the US and has the capabilities and infrastructure to fully execute complex EPC projects domestically.
- OCI worked a total of 1,722,510 + Man Hours in 2014
- OCI employed over 1,591 Craft Professionals and over 622 Salaried